Wednesday, September 11, 2013

[Q&A] Jeff A. Hatch (Pulp Adventure)

[19:08] <+Jeff> Drum roll please... My name is Jeff A. Hatch. I am the creator of Pulp Adventure, the World's Greatest Pulp rpg.
[19:09] <+Jeff> I am here because I am mostly through a Kickstarter for my game and for the new Pulp Companion which brings more content to the game.
[19:09] <+Jeff> done
[19:09] <~Dan> Thanks, Jeff!
[19:09] <+BPIJonathan> Is there a kickstarter link?
[19:10] <+Abstruse> There's a boom out there of pulp roleplaying games right now. What makes PULP ADVENTURE the "World's Greatest"? What separates you from the pack and makes your game unique?
[19:10] <+Jeff> (Link: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1919646865/pulp-adventure-companion)http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1919646865/pulp-adventure-companion
[19:11] <+Jeff> Well, the "world's greatest" tag line comes from one of the advantages in the system, it's kind of an in-joke.
[19:11] *** WonderRat has joined #rpgnet
[19:11] *** ChanServ sets mode +v WonderRat
[19:12] <~Dan> (Howdy, Wondy!)
[19:12] <+Jeff> As for what separates my game from others is the mechanics and my understanding of the PULP genre. Most designers tend to present their games as Indiana Jones games or detective noir, I present my game as a wider genre.
[19:12] <+Abstruse> (Don't undersell...always proclaim yourself the World's Greatest and make anyone else prove you wrong :p )
[19:12] <+Jeff> Actually, that is how the advantage works.
[19:13] *** Le_Squide has joined #rpgnet
[19:13] *** ChanServ sets mode +v Le_Squide
[19:13] <&Silverlion> Strange, most of the pulp games I'm familiar with are pretty broad (Two Fisted Tales, Adventure!, Spirit of Adventure!)
[19:13] <&Silverlion> What pulp games have you played?
[19:14] <+Jeff> I suppose there might be a wider trend.
[19:14] <+Jeff> I have played Spirit, Call of Cthulhu, Justice Inc. Pulp Era
[19:15] <&Silverlion> I see. Older games for the most part then. :D No worries.
[19:15] <+Abstruse> So you're focused on that sort of 30s-style adventure/noir hybrid? Or is that what you're trying to avoid being pigeonholed into?
[19:15] <+Jeff> It's hard to try out the other games because everyone I know plays my system.
[19:16] <+Jeff> I am trying to avoid it. The core rulebook is presented as 1920's - 1940's but it can be used for other time periods.
[19:16] <&Silverlion> What are the mechanics like in your game?
[19:17] <~Dan> Based upon what I've read of the game, it appears that you lean toward the "proto-superhero" end of the pulp spectrum -- Doc Savage, the Shadow, the Rocketeer, Mandrake, the Phantom, etc.
[19:17] <~Dan> Fair assessment?
[19:17] <+Jeff> Percentile. Using skill levels and fractions to determine levels of success.
[19:17] <~Dan> (Question pause.)
[19:18] <+Jeff> I prefer the superhero pulps. However the game is really written to be a mystery genre. As in all scenarios should have asome mystery to solve whether it is Cthulhu pulp, detective, superhero or cops and robbers.
[19:18] *** egyptian has joined #rpgnet
[19:18] *** ChanServ sets mode +ao egyptian egyptian
[19:19] <~Dan> (Howdy, egyptian!)
[19:19] <+Jeff> done
[19:19] *** Ettin has joined #rpgnet
[19:19] *** ChanServ sets mode +v Ettin
[19:19] <~Dan> (Howdy, Ettin!)
[19:20] <+Abstruse> What are your biggest influences in pulp fiction?
[19:20] <~Dan> Jeff, could you say a bit more about how attributes and skills work in the system?
[19:20] <+Jeff> Doc Savage, The Shadow, The Mythos, Bogart and of course Big Trouble in Little China
[19:21] <+Abstruse> Bogart or Raymond Chandler?
[19:21] <+Jeff> Bogart movies
[19:22] <+Abstruse> So not the Raymond Chandler novels?
[19:22] <+Jeff> Game system: All scores are rated from 1-100. If you had an 80% Reflexes you would roll against 80, 40 0or 20% then according to skill level you would produce a result from failure to Critical.
[19:23] *** Pony_Knight has quit IRC: Connection reset by peer
[19:23] <+Jeff> I am not as well read with detective novels as I am with Pulp.
[19:24] <~Dan> From what I've read, 100% isn't a hard cap, though. Abilities can exceed that level, correct?
[19:24] <+Jeff> In one of my new books, we touch heavilly on Jules Verne, H.G. Wells and the like with a kick-Ass lost world adventure.
[19:24] <+Jeff> Yes, anything over 100% is considered superhuman
[19:24] <~Dan> And how many skill levels are there?
[19:25] <+Jeff> A nice part of the mechanic is the use of PULP points to adjust the die rolls.
[19:25] <+Jeff> Skill levels are Unskilled, Novice and Expert then their are mastery bonuses from stacking skills.
[19:26] <+Jeff> For instance, if you have Chemical and Toxicology, you are Expert+10 with poisons.
[19:27] <~Dan> How does that work in play?
[19:27] <~Dan> (re: Expert +10)
[19:28] <+Jeff> Mastery bonuses lower the die roll to get a better result. So, if the guy in example rolled a 28, it would actually be 18.
[19:29] <~Dan> What are the attributes, and how broad are the skills?
[19:29] <+Jeff> Once a character becomes really skilled, he starts to have better outcomes to his rolls all the time.
[19:30] <+Jeff> Attributes: Physique, Intellect, Discipline, Aim, Reflexes, Influence and Allure. There are a lot of skills, about 60 or so.
[19:31] <~Dan> And characters are created with an archetype system, getting a group of skills at Novice level with the opportunity to buy them up to Expert?
[19:31] <+Jeff> What I really like is the Archetypes give you flexibility but keep your character on the appropriate path, so it is hard to be a spell slinging day laborer but easy to be a Dark Avenger who can cloud men's minds.
[19:32] <+Jeff> @ Dan yes. Each character gets a pack of expert and novice skills and can raise the novice skills with points.
[19:33] <~Dan> Speaking of the archetypes, I notice that you make certain powers available to any of them. That's an interesting touch.
[19:34] <~Dan> In your games, do most players take powers?
[19:35] <+Jeff> Those powers are available at a lower cost. Powers are expensive because they do a lot.
[19:35] <+Jeff> Most players do not take powers. However, the ones who do, can accomplish some pretty awesome things
[19:36] <~Dan> Ah, I see. And so any character can, in theory, have any power?
[19:37] <+Jeff> Yes, any character can eventually get a power. However, the system makes it easier for those powers to be taken by characters who should have them.
[19:38] <~Dan> I like that. Flexible, but with an incentive for being thematic.
[19:38] *** Le_Squide has quit IRC: Ping timeout
[19:38] <+Jeff> Yes.
[19:38] <+Jeff> I wanted to use character classes in some way without making the characters too single minded.
[19:38] * ~Dan nods
[19:39] <+Jeff> Combat is also a big part of the game. The combat system allows for really cool fights.
[19:39] <~Dan> Can you give us some details on that?
[19:40] <+Jeff> I would say that Pulp Adventure has the flexibility of Feng Shui with the crunchy mechanics of D&D. So, if you want to do a special maneuver there is a cost and effect for it.
[19:41] <+Jeff> Also, anyone can try any maneuver.
[19:42] <~Dan> What is the basics of combat?
[19:43] <+Jeff> Roll against either Reflexes or Aim subtracting bonuses for weapons ans skills from the roll. If you get under your score, you hit. The opponent may get a defensive roll if he is skilled enough to do so.
[19:44] <~Dan> Not that this would be a big factor in a pulp setting, but how does armor work?
[19:46] <+Jeff> armor is a pretty good thing to have. It lowers the damage done to the character. If it is hard like plate it blocks it completely, if it is soft like chain mail or Kevlar, it stops the damage but a character might be knocked out from the force of the impact.
[19:46] <+Jeff> One of the best gadgets is bullet-proof longjohns
[19:46] <~Dan> I'm glad to hear that. I much prefer armor that reduces damage.
[19:47] <+Jeff> It was a natural progression from other games I played like Runequest.
[19:47] <~Dan> I can see that.
[19:48] <~Dan> Does the game use a hit point mechanic?
[19:48] <+Jeff> Yes, there is stamina which determines how long you stay up in general but a single wound can also take you out or stun you for a round.
[19:49] <+Jeff> Basically, if you get hit a bunch of times for a few points you go out. If you get hit by a really lasrge blow, you might go down.
[19:49] <~Dan> Can Pulp points reduce damage?
[19:50] <+Jeff> BTW please forgive my typing, I am not fast.
[19:50] <~Dan> No problem. We're a patient bunch. :)
[19:50] <+Jeff> Pulp points do not reduce damage. They can be used to help make defense rolls which negate damage.
[19:50] <~Dan> Cool. I see.
[19:51] <+Jeff> I wanted a system where the player could try to defend himself, some systems feel like the GM is just rolling and hitting and you have no say in the matter
[19:51] <~Dan> I see that magic is distinct from "mysterious powers" in the game. Can you say a bit about that?
[19:51] <+Jeff> It also makes the combat feel like an exchange of blows mechanically
[19:52] <+Jeff> Mysterious powers always work and can not be taken away per se. Spells can cause backlash and require a skill roll to get off. Sorcerers are hard to play.
[19:53] <~Dan> How "flashy" is Pulp Adventure sorcery?
[19:54] <+Jeff> There are flashy spells but most of them cause more intangible effects. There is Gnarly Green Eyeball for instance which causes a wizard eye type of thing to appear.
[19:54] <~Dan> Heh. Cool name. :)
[19:55] <+Jeff> I player a at a convention created the spell and it stuck.
[19:55] * ~Dan chuckles
[19:55] <~Dan> On the flip side, how does gadgetry/weird science work?
[19:56] <+Jeff> There are about a hundred gadgets in the book. To create them you make a skill roll. There are two kinds of Gadgeteers (Tinkerers and Inventors).
[19:57] <+Jeff> A Tinkerer makes a few gadgets occasionally and an Inventor has a staple of gadgets he can call on each adventure.
[19:57] <+Jeff> There is a detailed system of gadgetry that allows you to create anything you want.
[19:58] <~Dan> Ah, I was just about to ask that. So you aren't limited to the listed gadgets?
[19:58] *** Le_Squide has joined #rpgnet
[19:58] *** ChanServ sets mode +v Le_Squide
[19:58] <~Dan> (wb, Le_Squide!)
[19:58] <+Jeff> No, there is no limit except the imagination. The stockl gadgets comp[rise everything Doc Savage ever invented though.
[19:58] <~Dan> Very cool.
[19:59] <+Jeff> BTW a great source of inspiration came from the Wild Wild West.
[20:00] <~Dan> In terms of sheer power -- maybe compared to popular superheroes as well as pulp heroes -- how powerful can a character in this game get, potentially?
[20:01] <+Jeff> A character can get pretty powerful. For example, Nightman, the master of darkness, can create a veil of darkness then gun dpown his blinded opponents. My friend has a Cthulhu Pulp character who can speak in a way which makes all men pay attention.
[20:02] <+Jeff> On the other side, a Martial Artist can become as great as Bruce Lee
[20:03] <~Dan> On a scale of 1-10, where 1 is "gritty and extremely deadly" and 10 is "completely over-the-top action", where would you put Pulp Adventure?
[20:03] *** Aeolius has joined #rpgnet
[20:03] *** ChanServ sets mode +v Aeolius
[20:03] <~Dan> Say, 1 = Call of Cthulhu or Paranoia and 1 = Feng shui, for example.
[20:04] <~Dan> 10 = Feng Shui, rather
[20:04] *** jcfiala has joined #rpgnet
[20:04] *** ChanServ sets mode +ao jcfiala jcfiala
[20:04] <+Jeff> Regular Pulp Adventure is around a '5' where as Cthulhu Pulp is a '3'
[20:04] <~Dan> Really? Interesting. How do the rules change in Pulp Cthulhu?
[20:04] <+Jeff> Regular Pulp Characters seldom die whereas Cthulhu Pulp Characters die often.
[20:05] <~Dan> (Howdy, Aeolius and jcfiala!)
[20:05] <+Jeff> Cthulhu Pulp uses horror rules but more importantly, guns and rays require tougher Defense rolls.
[20:06] <~Dan> I see.
[20:06] <~Dan> Speaking of monsters, how extensive is the game's core bestiary?
[20:07] <+Jeff> The core game has all the requisite animals and a few monsters. The Beasts, Babes and Bad Guys book adds 100 entries to that total. Of course in Cthulhu pulp I have converted the servitor races.
[20:08] <~Dan> Is there an included adventure?
[20:09] <+Jeff> The core book has about five adventures and the Cthulhu Pulp the same. The Beasts book has two. The companion will have two
[20:09] <+Jeff> I believe in publishing adventures.
[20:10] <+Jeff> BTW my next book will be Drive-In Pulp, hows that for flexibility?
[20:10] <~Dan> Good to hear. I'm probably in the minority on the subject, but I love pregen adventures. They help ensure I'll get some use out of a game and show me how the author envisions a game playing out.
[20:10] <~Dan> Drive-In Pulp? What will that entail? 1950s Atomic Horror type stuff?
[20:10] <+Jeff> Pregens give you great examples of how the game works. That is one thing the "Adventure" did not have.
[20:10] <+BPIJonathan> I like pregen adventures too, I keep a handful around for new groups or spontaneous games.
[20:11] <+Jeff> Drive-In pulp will be everything from Biker movies to Nazi Women with whips
[20:11] *** Abstruse has quit IRC: Disintegrated: (Link: http://www.mibbit.com)http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client
[20:11] <~Dan> Ah. Grindhouse stuff. :)
[20:11] <+Jeff> The Pulp Companion also has a random adventure system
[20:12] <+Jeff> Yes Grindhouse and men's magazine stuff.
[20:12] <~Dan> Do you plan on expanding the line further, to, say, sci-fi, Western, and/or sword-and-sorcery pulp?
[20:13] <+Jeff> Yes. All in good time. I am the primary writer, artist and editor.
[20:14] <+Jeff> also, here is the biggest plus. If you have a question, you can contact me and I will answer personally.
[20:14] <~Dan> About that... I'm curious about how you do business. It appears that you are the epitome of the one-man shop. I'm guessing that you even do the spiral binding of print copies yourself?
[20:15] <+Jeff> I go through STAPLES. I sell copies at conventions and over the internet. I am small but I would like to get out there further.
[20:15] <~Dan> And you're currently just selling via email through your website?
[20:15] <+Jeff> What I always say is...I am not in it for the money, I love my system and I want everyone who needs to have a copy to have one.
[20:15] <+Jeff> Yes
[20:16] <~Dan> It definitely seems like a labor of love. Your dedication shows in the number of supplements you've already churned out.
[20:16] <+Jeff> I was really hoping the Kickstarter would get my name out there.
[20:16] <+Jeff> Yes it is a labor of love.
[20:16] <+Jeff> My fans are really devoted too.
[20:17] <~Dan> Any plans of going through DTRPG?
[20:18] <+Jeff> I am slacking on that front. I also get a lot of requests for PDFs but I don't believe in them.
[20:18] <~Dan> Really? I think you'd do really well with those. And the new "pay what you want" model seems like it's right up your alley.
[20:19] <+Jeff> Well, all it takes is a guy with some computer know how or a friend at kinkos and then free copies are everywhere. However, I might give in some day.
[20:20] * ~Dan nods
[20:20] <~Dan> I'm not trying to tell you how to run your business here, mind you. I'd just like to see you get some more visibility. :)
[20:21] <+Jeff> I think my prices are pretty reasonable and my Kickstarter provides physical product at a reasonable price.
[20:21] * ~Dan nods
[20:21] <+Jeff> I will do a print on demand some day.
[20:21] <~Dan> For what it's worth, we have quite a few game authors who hang out here on a regular basis. You might be able to get some helpful tips, if you're interested.
[20:22] <+Jeff> That would be cool.
[20:22] <~Dan> (BPIJonathan and Silverlion among them.)
[20:23] <+Jeff> I wish I had someone to help walk me through the process of print on demand. I am not particularly literate at computers so it is just a typewriter for me.
[20:23] <+BPIJonathan> I love pulp games. I own several of them myself, plus I have published at least one of my own :D
[20:23] <~Dan> So does Pulp Adventure have any sort of default setting, or is it pretty much "all pulp weirdness is real in the early 20th century," and that's that?
[20:23] <+Jeff> @BPIJonathan which one?
[20:24] <+Jeff> There is a setting but mostly you just use the real world or create your own.
[20:24] <+BPIJonathan> Pulp Fantasy was my first one, its being revised to be rereleased in the next few months.
[20:24] <+BPIJonathan> Also Jeff, check the IM...I sent you my email address.
[20:25] <~Dan> BPIJonathan runs Battlefield Press. You guys should definitely talk. :)
[20:25] <+Jeff> sent you an e-mail
[20:27] <~Dan> Kind of a specific question, but I see that characters have Starting Skills and Occupational Skills as part of their archetypes...
[20:28] <~Dan> I get that they get the Occupational Skills at Novice level for free. but what's up with the Starting Skills?
[20:28] <+Jeff> In regard to setting. I use the real world mostly because I want the players to have a point of view for their deeds. If they save the life of an average Joe, I want them to understand the point of view for that npc.
[20:29] *** rocketlunatic has joined #rpgnet
[20:29] *** ChanServ sets mode +v rocketlunatic
[20:29] <+Jeff> The Starting skills are their expert skills they get for free. They can buy up their novice skills with character points. THEN any novice skills raised are replaced with new novice skills from the master list.
[20:29] <~Dan> (Howdy, rocketlunatic! Q&A in progress; #rpgnet2 open for general chat, if you like.)
[20:30] <+Jeff> You can also buy a random skill outright but it does not generate a replacement novice skill. This is my way of encouraging player to stay in archetype.
[20:31] <~Dan> So to use an example from the book here... if the Young Hero raises Basic Martial Arts to Expert, he can get any other skill of the same cost at Novice level as well?
[20:32] <+Jeff> You got it Dan!
[20:32] <~Dan> <-- genius!
[20:32] <~Dan> ;)
[20:33] <~Dan> I see that you don't have a drawback mechanic. Is that in keeping with pulp heroics?
[20:33] <+Jeff> Another great part of the game is the Advantages which work like feats. One in particular allows you to raise novice skills at the beginning of the game to expert depending on your needs
[20:34] <+Jeff> Pulp Characters were not as flawed as Champions characters however, every character is encouraged to generate a quirk which helps to define their character.
[20:34] *** Poena has quit IRC: Disintegrated:
[20:34] * ~Dan nods
[20:34] <~Dan> That seems about right.
[20:34] <+Jeff> Such as "Never answers a question directly" or "Wide as he is tall".
[20:35] <~Dan> (Monk!)
[20:35] <+Jeff> Doc and Monk.
[20:36] <~Dan> Awesome. :)
[20:36] <~Dan> Speaking of Doc, how well do you think the game passes the "Doc Savage Test"? In other words, can a PC even begin to look like a Doc type?
[20:38] <+Jeff> Yes, it has taken a long time in refining the system but by raising ability scores high and certain Advantages, you could be Doc, The Shadow, The Phantom or Bumble around as Jack Burton!
[20:38] <+BPIJonathan> Never use a small word when a big word will do
[20:38] <+Jeff> That's in  there!
[20:38] <~Dan> Yeah, I see that one of the archetypes looks an awful lot like Jack Burton. :)
[20:39] <+Jeff> My version of Doc and his men has Doc able to bend steel, knoch out a guy with a blow or perform delicate brain surgery.
[20:39] <+Jeff> The Tough Guy
[20:39] <~Dan> Yup. :)
[20:39] <+Jeff> One of the best archetypes.
[20:40] <~Dan> Actually, that brings up an issue re: Doc... With just a two-tiered skill system, isn't it difficult to make characters stand out in terms of skill?
[20:41] <+Jeff> Absolutely. There is a big difference in Novice and Expert and Mastery Bonuses just make you better. Also since skills run off attributes, thqat makes a difference too.
[20:41] <~Dan> Do Mastery bonuses continue past +10?
[20:42] <+Jeff> Yes they do. A really skilled character might get up to Expert+30.
[20:42] <~Dan> That's good to know. I'm a big fan of "super-skilled" characters.
[20:42] <+Jeff> Well, you would like the game then.
[20:43] <~Dan> On a related note, does degree of success affect damage at all in combat?
[20:43] <~Dan> (Or success level?)
[20:44] <+Jeff> No, combat is hit or miss. There are Crits and Bungles but mostly, you roll to hit or miss. Multiple attacks work on divisions of the attribute.
[20:44] <~Dan> What happens if you Crit?
[20:44] <+Jeff> I wanted players to be able to focus on roleplaying in combat not look up success levels.
[20:45] <+Jeff> You roll on a table of course. Same thing with Bungles.
[20:47] <~Dan> Gotcha.
[20:47] <~Dan> Are you able to make called shots?
[20:47] <+Jeff> Yes.
[20:48] <~Dan> Cool. That helps.
[20:48] <~Dan> (I like Green Arrow types to be really dangerous with their bows, for example.)
[20:48] <+Jeff> When I start a game, I tell my players that anything you can do in a movie or real life can be attempted in the system. If you want to aim, you can. If you want to do a spinning kick, you can if you want to charhge go ahead/.
[20:48] * ~Dan nods
[20:48] <~Dan> I like that.
[20:49] <+Jeff> Archers are fun. Especially with gadget arrows.
[20:49] * ~Dan nodnods
[20:49] <~Dan> Looks like we have about 10 minutes left in "regular" time. Now, you're more than welcome to hang out here after that as long as you like, or any time you like, for that matter.
[20:49] <~Dan> That said, is there anything we haven't covered yet that you'd like to bring up?
[20:50] <+Jeff> One of the best skill trees is the knife fighter since knives are easy to come by.
[20:50] <+Jeff> Ten minutes sounds great. I feel like we have covered most of the questions and I do need to eat.
[20:50] <~Dan> No problem!
[20:51] <+Jeff> I would like to open up the floor to any archetype suggestions anyone might have. My players are starting to request types which don't fit the genre.
[20:52] <~Dan> Well, I see that the Cowboy is in the Companion, right?
[20:52] <+Jeff> Yep.
[20:52] <+BPIJonathan> I have a few in my own game that get used, Detective, News Hound, Mysterious Scientist, Jungle Lord
[20:52] <~Dan> I think he's got those covered, BPIJonathan. :)
[20:52] <+Jeff> Got them all. I have about fifty in the game.
[20:52] <+BPIJonathan> Im sure.... I just was saying. :D
[20:53] <+Jeff> I am thinking of mysteruious drifter. Someone suggested Beast Master.
[20:53] <~Dan> I would suggest a Swashbuckler of some sort.
[20:53] <+Jeff> He's n the new book.
[20:53] <~Dan> Hmm...
[20:53] <~Dan> Gentleman Thief?
[20:54] <+Jeff> I have a criminal but A cat Burgler might fit.
[20:54] <~Dan> Yeah, I think a Cat Burgler is a different animal (pardon the pun) from the Criminal archetype.
[20:55] <+Jeff> True.
[20:55] <~Dan> Hmm. Speaking of Green Arrow, maybe the Archer?
[20:55] <+Jeff> Good thought
[20:55] <+BPIJonathan> I classify Green Arrow as a Mystery Man,
[20:56] <+Jeff> Actually, I would call him a Swashbuckler
[20:56] <~Dan> I would, too, but he's got a Dark Avenger archetype that doesn't really fit Green Arrow.
[20:56] <~Dan> Yeah, if you have Archery as a possible skill for a Swashbuckler.
[20:56] <+Jeff> That's the problem, with a flexible system, you can make any character into the one you want sooner or later.
[20:56] * ~Dan nods
[20:57] <+Jeff> Like, I don't have big game hunter because  you can easilly do it with Explorer.
[20:57] <~Dan> If you want to stick a toe into the Golden Age, you could have the Superman. Lots of discounted powers, lots of unarmed fighting abilities.
[20:58] <+Jeff> I have a 'Champion' which is the Doc Savage type.
[20:58] <~Dan> Is that in the Companion?
[20:58] <+Jeff> I am saving real supers for a future suppliment.
[20:58] * ~Dan nods
[20:59] <+Jeff> No, the core book.
[20:59] <~Dan> Oh! There he is.
[21:00] <+Jeff> One thing I'm going to do, is put consolidated indexes in the companion so you can find the skill, archetype or power you want.
[21:00] <+BPIJonathan> Im actually working on an academic work concerning the pulp era. So really interested in this game.
[21:00] <~Dan> To what degree do you try to stay true to the actual pulps as opposed to "pulp" as it's understood in common gamer parlance?
[21:00] <+Jeff> I'm going to do an essay in the companion covering al the genre in brief.
[21:01] <+Jeff> I don't supply exhaustive genre in my books cayuse you can easilly get it on the internet.
[21:01] <~Dan> Well, let me clarify...
[21:02] <+Jeff> I try to stay to the pulps but I have put stuff in the game to allow a wilder type of game if you want.
[21:02] <~Dan> In my review of another pulp RPG, Two-Fisted Tales, I pointed out that the author stipulated a desire to stay true to the actual pulps. (more)
[21:02] <+Jeff> If you want to have a detective and a wildman in the same campaign, it is possible.
[21:03] <~Dan> He pointed out that in the true pulps, Doc Savage would surrender if someone got the drop on him with a gun, for example.
[21:03] <~Dan> So he tried to make his game simulate that by making combat really deadly.
[21:03] <+Jeff> Bull crap! Doc would easily beat the gunman
[21:03] <~Dan> I get what he was going for, but in practice, it seemed to make combat extremely unappealing.
[21:03] <+Jeff> If you want to do that, you can use Cthulhu Pulp rules.
[21:04] * ~Dan nods
[21:04] <~Dan> We're a bit past two hours... Did you need to run, Jeff?
[21:04] <+Jeff> Besides, in real life, it has been proven that a master of Martial Arts can defend himself against a gun.
[21:04] <+Jeff> I do, I hope everyone enjoyed themselves.
[21:05] <~Dan> I know I did!
[21:05] <~Dan> I'd like to thank you for stopping by to talk to us about your game. Want to post a link to the Companion Kickstarter again before you go?
[21:05] <+BPIJonathan> I am looking forward to getting the game.
[21:05] *** Serami has quit IRC: Ping timeout
[21:06] <+Jeff> Well, I will sign off. Please take a look at the Kickstarter and lend support if you can. Also, come play with me at one of the California Conventions I attend.
[21:06] <~Dan> I'll have the log of the Q&A posted shortly and will send you the link!
[21:06] <+Jeff> Thanks.
[21:06] *** Jeff has quit IRC: Disintegrated: (Link: http://www.mibbit.com)http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client
[21:07] <~Dan> Hmm. Guess he didn't see my suggestion. :)
[21:07] <~Dan> Well, for the benefit of our log readers, here's that link: (Link: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1919646865/pulp-adventure-companion)http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1919646865/pulp-adventure-companion

No comments:

Post a Comment